Heat up your bottom lineSufficient heat at the right time is the key to grape soundness and for a high quality wine in satisfactory quantities.
The Thermaculture™ treatment is based on the principle of a short-term heat shock in which air which has been heated to 150°C is emitted on both sides of the plant by two gas-operated fan heaters with a wind velocity of 40 to 60 km/h. This takes place in a fraction of a second while the tractor-drawn AgrothermXT passes along the rows of vines and – of course - it does not cause any damage to the vines. The heat shock does however have several positive effects on the grapes and the foliage.
Regular applications - from bud break, throughout the growing season and up until harvest - have shown considerable advantages in comparison with vines that have not been thermally treated.
- Improved and higher fruit set, even with adverse weather conditions during the vine blossom (cold/humidity)
- Increase in crop yields with a simultaneous improvement in quality (wine sensors)
- The heat shock causes the proportion of flavonoids in the plant to increase including antioxidants and phenols which improve the taste
- Reduction of negative effects after torrential rain and humidity due to the drying effect within the grapes and canopy
- Minimized risk of spoilage and the occurrence of fungal diseases, e.g. botrytis
- Supports phytosanitary measures, as the water adhesions are blown away and the surface of the grapes dries off quicker
- Supports actions as part of an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) type program and hence leads to costs savings in the area of spraying
- Improved must weight, as the time of harvesting can be delayed
- Healthier harvests until the time of harvest
- Raise Brix to harvest targets when mother Nature goes into stall mode
Sustainability is really important and gaining more and more visibility. The heat treatment with AgrothermXT could be a great part of that story and one that consumers would be very responsive to. It will be a part of our future promotional activities if successful.
Proprietor and vintner of the Windy Oaks vineyard
(Corralitos in California / USA), www.windyoaksestate.com
Read the whole story: to the reference story
THE AGROTHERM XT CONSISTS OF:
- A base unit with hydraulic unit
- Tow bar and axle
- A country-specific gas tank framework
- Two fan nozzle sets with different nozzle sizes for different growth phases (early season and late season)
- The option of being able to cover even wider row widths using a nozzle duct extension
- The innovative C.Control Premium control system with touchscreen display and joystick for convenient operation from the driver's seat
- A choice between two axle widths - 1,100 and 1,350 mm - and therefore can be configured flexibly for different sizes of tractor
We couldn't be happier with the results we saw. Not only did we get higher fruit set and yields on our Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon, but we cut our pest control costs significantly from what was normally used in our vineyards. Finding sustainable solutions like Thermaculture is very important to our mission at Foley.
Vineyard Manager at Foley Family Wines
(California, USA), www.foleyfoodandwinesociety.com
Read the whole story: to the reference story
ADVANTAGES:Easy handling on the headland and in the row of vines due to the trailer drawbar solution, and convenient steering and control of the unit from the tractor driver seat.
- Ecological - environmentally friendly, gas heating, no application of chemicals
- No phytosanitary permission for the application required
|Row distances:||from min. 2 m to 3.5 m|
|Maximum permitted speed:||25 km/h|
|Operating speed:||5 to 6 km/h|
|Power take-off shaft speed:||480 rev/min|
|Total weight with full gas cylinders
(in EU - Version):
New add-on module for front attachment
- Discharging of water adhesions in the foliage and thermal treatment in just one passage
- Double-sided blowers with pillar lifting
- Hydraulic height adjustment
- Manual width adjustment
- Mounting bracket
Agrotherm XT with add-on module AGROBLOW in front attachment
About our partner Agrothermal Systems:Agrothermal Systems, with its headquarters in Napa Valley in California performed pioneering work in the development of the so-called Thermaculture™ process in which heat is used as a processing method for increased agricultural harvests.
The company holds patents in the area of thermal pest control and has applied for patents for the thermal plant treatment and genomic expression of agricultural crop plants.
CLEMENS Technologies has been a partner of Agrothermal Systems since 2014, produces AgrothermXT at its site in Wittlich and is responsible for sales in Europe.